Digital Innovation Council for the Performing Arts
This national initiative is designed to:
- instigate dialogue on the digitization of the performing arts
- be the catalyst for visionary, collaborative, trans-disciplinary initiatives that will enable the Canadian performing arts presenting eco-system to thrive in a digital world.
The only requirements for joining the growing number of arts leaders participating in the Digital Innovation Council are curiosity, openness and a desire to contribute to the success of the arts sector in the digital world. For more information, contact Inga Petri or Frédéric Julien, who are the co-chairs of the Council.
We have been holding online conversations over the summer to connect people and their projects with potential partners What’s Your Digital Project? We expect to continue this practice and invite you to contact us or follow us on Twitter (Hashtag #digilivearts) for the latest updates.
- Digitizing the Performing Arts: An Assessment of Opportunities, Issues and Challenges
- La numérisation des arts du spectacle : Évaluation des possibilités, des enjeux et des défis
Since our initial explorations during The Value of Presenting: A Study of Performing Arts Presentation in Canada (©2011-2013; CAPACOA/Strategic Moves), we’ve worked to galvanize an important conversation about our digital future in the performing arts sector.
In January 2015 Inga Petri (Strategic Moves) gave a seminal presentation at CAPACOA’s national conference on Breaking the Fifth Wall: Digitizing the Performing Arts. This presentation set out the challenges of the digital world for content providers and intermediaries and proposed a compelling vision of a digital future where the Canadian performing arts sector owns a new generation digital distribution platform. Interest in digital innovation and the need for a comprehensive study and, ultimately, a digital action plan, was solidified at CAPACOA’s national conference in November 2015, resulting into the formation of the Digital Innovation Council for the Performing Arts.
- Recap of the Arts in a Digital World Summit – March 15-17, 2017
- The Digital Conversation Intensifies – March 9, 2017
- Dialogue on Canadian Content in a Digital World: Minutes – October 24, 2016
- Digital Innovation Council Consultation: Summary, re: Canadian Content in a Digital World, Canadian Heritage – May 11, 2016
- The Potential of Webcasting for the Performing Arts Sector – May 20, 2014